19.5.12

I miss the Chupacabra


When I was a kid growing up in the ninties. There was something particularly terrifying and almost inspiring about El Chupacabra. It was like a walking snarling sci-fi creature terrorizing Puerto Rico. Quick background, sightings of this particularly odd Cryptid started around 1994 in South America, very close to the S.E.T.I’s southern base. Of course being so close to the dishes that search for extra terrestrial life did make conspiracies start flying. The descriptions often had a very demonic tone to them. It stood about four to five feet on two legs, with feet not unlike that of a kangaroo. Long spines ran down its back and it almost always had sinister glowing red eyes. Sometimes it had bat like wings others not, it was supposed to emit strange sulfuric smells and shrill hisses. And have a forked tongue.

 The most notable thing about this cryptid was the victims it left. Hundreds of dead chickens and/or other livestock. All with their blood drained through either two or three puncture wounds that would baffle local vets. It sounds very much like livestock mutilations that occur around the world. And it led to the theories that perhaps it was either an escaped experiment or an escaped alien (or its pet).
 But as much as I loved it as a child it took a very strange turn in the 2000s.

No longer the bipedial lizard, it became a small mutant dog animal only seen by ranch owning Americans in Texas. As far as I’m concerned any shift in a cryptid or something paranormal (especially when it has to do with America) is a little fishy. People are terrified of this hybrid dog that kills there sheep. Even photos and captures have seemingly baffled the local authorities and have always had –a lot- of media attention. But this has very much disappointed me. For every photograph I have seen has not terrified me. It’s most obviously been a dog with mange. How some rancher ‘who has hunted for years’ could not see this baffles me.

 And leads me to this thought. Perhaps there was more to the original Chupacabra. More that meant that sightings needed to now have hill billy status. If I saw one tomorrow and told you about it, especially in the lower states of the U.S. I know what you would say. Hill billy. The same as if I told you I was abducted by aliens. And we all know where that came from.
I think there’s more to Charlie than we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment